I believe a Member of Parliament should demonstrate service to one’s constituents, assist in the development of policy, restore honour and integrity to public life, and improve our national dialogue and choices.
In Simcoe-Grey I have been primarily concerned with attainable housing and food insecurity. Local business owners have shared they could do more business if they had more staff. However, potential employees cannot find nor afford housing in our town centers. My home is in Collingwood where this is clearly the case.
The National Housing Strategy is a 10 year, $70 billion plan creating a new generation of housing in Canada. This strategy is focused on:
- Creating New Housing Supply
- Modernizing Existing Housing
- Making Available Resources for Community Housing Providers
- Expanding Innovation and Research
In 2015 the The Liberal Party of Canada introduced the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) lifting 435,000 children out of poverty. There is still work to be done and the Liberal Party is moving forward.
Budget 2021 makes a historic investment of up to $30 billion over 5 years with a supplement in 2021 due to COVID19. Parents will receive up to $1,200. per child. In addition, the government is set to make an investment of $9.2 billion in early learning and child care across Canada. The program will jump start with a 50% reduction in current fees making life better for families immediately.
Climate change is important to the residents of Simcoe Grey, from the beautiful Blue Mountains to the beaches of Georgian Bay, from farms to the towns, people here care. The Liberals put a price on carbon, an internationally recognized methodology, and most of us received a tax credit. Now the government will invest in new measures and strengthen current rules to move Canada forward on a path to net-zero emissions.
I share the Liberal Party of Canada’s emphasis on innovation, diversity, entrepreneurship, economic growth, and environmental protection. Given the opportunity, I am committed to listening to the citizens of Simcoe Grey and representing them in Parliament.
Administrator: Responsible for a staff of 40 and day-to-day operation of a large institution. The Canadian Overseas Secondary School, Hong Kong
Chairperson: Chaired professional development committee, promotion committee, and meetings involving provincial services personnel.
Negotiator: Acted as key participant in the negotiating process to establish collective agreements and acted as liaison between bargaining unit, staff, and management.
Consultant: Media Analysis
Financial Agent: Worked for CIBC and Bank of Montreal.
Political Researcher: A working understanding of The Legislative Process. The Legislative Assembly of Ontario, Toronto
Policy Writer: Wrote Review Report for the Ministry of Education.
Implementer: Developed and implemented a Cooperative education program between students and employer groups within the community.
Business Owner: Business Owner/ Entrepreneur: Event Planning , Boutique B&B, Retail Sales
Research Work at Queen’s Park
- Established and maintained files on issues and programs within my areas of policy. This included reviewing press articles, press releases, reports, correspondence, Hansard transcripts/House documents, speeches, brochures, and other publications or relevant material.
- Established and maintained contacts within the lobby groups, interest groups and government that assisted in the collection of data, and provided a liaison between the caucus and such groups.
- Identified, monitored, and analyzed public issues and concerns within my policy areas.
- Monitored and attended news conferences and special events related to my policy fields.
- Endeavoured to become fully knowledgeable and conversant on the major issues within my policy areas including the history and specifics of the issues, the relative position of all three political parties on the issues, and the position of interest and lobby groups on the issues.
- Established and maintained a good working relationship with caucus members and their staff.
Performed a number of duties as the need arose and as requested by caucus members, the research coordinator, special projects coordinator, and director of research. Including:
- The preparation of briefing notes, research papers, policy papers, reports, press releases, questions for the house, speaking notes, briefing packages, amendments, motions, and correspondence.
- Wrote oral briefings on issues and legislation.
- Assisted caucus members in committee and in the house.
- Represented the Party caucus at various meetings and events.
University of Waterloo: 4 Year Honours Degree in English and Psychology
University of Western: Degree in Education
Certification Ministry of Education: Program Development and Implementation, Program Supervision and Assessment, English as a Second Language, Neuro Linguistic Programming
I have lived In: Dawson City, Yukon – Inuvik, North West Territories – Vancouver Island, British Columbia Hong Kong – Russia – The United States
Fundraiser: Victoria County Cancer Society
Recipient: Award for “Outstanding Contribution to School Life”
Member: Political Action Committee District 12, OSSTF
President: Toastmasters Club, Owen Sound – Generated membership drive which led to awards at the provincial level.
Vice President: Carried out executive duties of district office for the FWTAO
Political Delegate: Elected by local riding association to represent membership in the party leadership race.
Guest Speaker: Presented views on local radio in response to The Federal Candidates Debate on Women’s Issues
Guide: Led a travel group of 50 individuals through Egypt and Greece.
Fundraiser: The South Georgian Bay Community Health Centre
Liaison: Waiting Room/Emergency for Collingwood General and Marine Hospital
Facilitator: Created and Presented Workshops on such topics as “Conflict Resolution” to professional and interest groups
Activities and Interests:
Performer: Trained at Second City, Canadian Opera Company, Verdi’s Rigoletto: Actor, Production of Masteroff’s Cabaret: Singer/Dancer
Director: Direction of Stage Play led to Community Award from Senior Citizens
Producer: Produced a musical for the local community/ profits were distributed for local projects.
Producer: Produced a video interviewing key parties in a local strike for the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education.